PineCube as a WiFi AP
If the PineCube will have a wired Ethernet connection to the main network it is possible to use it as a WiFi access point, possibly extending your existing network to further outside. Here are some steps you can take to do this starting from an Armbian system as a starting point. Note that you may need to upgrade your kernel to 5.13.x for this to work well.
- Install bridge-utils package using apt-get
- Add the following to your /etc/network/interfaces to set up both the eth0 Ethernet interface and the br0 bridge interface (change br0 to manual if static IP is preferred)
/etc/network/interfaces: auto eth0 iface eth0 inet manual pre-up /sbin/ifconfig $IFACE up pre-down /sbin/ifconfig $IFACE down auto br0 iface br0 inet dhcp bridge_ports eth0 bridge_stp on
- Edit the /etc/default/hostapd uncommenting the line with 'DAEMON_CONF="/etc/hostapd.conf"'
- Edit the /etc/hostapd.conf to set the SSID, password and channel for your AP.
sudo systemctl enable hostapd.serviceto enable the hostapd service on startup
- Reboot your cube with the ethernet cable connected